Butter chicken and the rest...

Cut to circa 2009, "Can bacha live without butter chicken?", the answer was abrupt univocal "NO". This was 10 years ago, by my brother and less to everyone’s and my surprise, nothing has changed in years. One thing that has remained constant and love for which has only increased with time in me is Butter Chicken (the unusual love count). The intense flavor from spices, glazing golden butter floating before my eyes and that first bite, uh, it has always been irresistible for me, back then and still.

I have grown up in a Punjabi house where every Wednesday came with a wave of excitement for school going siblings as Butter Chicken and Butter Naan awaits them back home. From then to now, I know not to disappoint its standard with simple parathas as this royal highness deserves something that’s equally buttery and rich. I still remember the amount of excitement and the wish to go home early I used to get. To some, it may sound a bit lame, but without any hyperbole that was how I developed an infatuated romance with this beautiful-looking chicken dish, that makes me gloat over its robust flavors.

Aromatic golden chicken pieces in an incredible creamy curry sauce, Butter Chicken was and will never be equal to Chicken Tikka Masala or Chicken Butter Masala for me like others. I am not like those who feel to try something new every time they step into a restaurant, if we are eating North Indian then it has to be Butter Chicken. Born out of another gastronomical hero, the Tandoori Chicken, Butter Chicken is cliched yet classy in its own sense. Some say its more or less same, how can I always crave for it whenever I want to have anything, don’t I get bored of it and whatnot, but I always end up saying it still tickles my taste buds the same way as it has always been.

Not just this, Butter Chicken has been my mood bearer, when I am happy I need it to celebrate, when I am sad I need it more than anything to uplift my food. It always works for me surprisingly. People who know me know how big a gourmet I am and I ended up making them like me too. Bonds over chickens has been the best for me. My gastronomical delights have taken me to places. From eating Italian, Chinese, Continental, I have always ended up obsessing over Butter Chicken. Succulent chicken pieces wrapped in an utterly buttery combination of cream, tomatoes and aromatic spices, this dish has always been a culinary star for me.

For all who can relate to my obsession, I have something to tell you. When you spot the leg, it's yours! And the best part, devouring the juices inside the soft flesh and bones that is sure of giving any devotional Butter Chicken lover foodgasms.




Comments

Popular Posts