All it takes is an equal and opposite reaction.


Metro rides are thrilling. But this one was awkward, uncomfortable and deeply disturbing.
Probably a month back while I was restlessly waiting in the Metro Recharge line at Noida Sector 61 Metro Station on my way back to home from office, I never thought it would be one hell of an experience that will leave its imprint on my mind forever.

The scenario was such, the queue of people waiting to get their recharge done was long. Also, diverting from the context I always wonder why we have one line dedicated to women and innumerable to men. Quite evidently, I see that the single line is overcrowded and the number of women travelers can be easily traced and considered. Moreover, the kind of dedication that women guard with scanners shows is commendable. Maybe we women are not expected to be carrying bombs. Let's not wait for the day when we all will be surprised. 

Anyways...

Cut to circa that day, waiting for my turn in the line, I saw a vision of man rubbing his hands at the right places. I glanced to the girl standing in front of him. For another 5-10 seconds, I observed that the man was unnecessary touching her from her back with his body parts. The girl was in her early teen. She was wearing a school uniform. The vision clearly petrified her causing her to maintain a distance but in vain. The man was around the late 20s. Man was in his full energy, nowhere to stop, I pushed the girl back. I was soon acknowledged by “Thankyou didi” from an embarrassed girl (even though she did nothing but that is how things are supposed to be) and “Agar itni hi aag hai toh tu aage aaja” by the man.

Abiding by his plea, I swapped the places and said, “chal laga ab”. One thing I have learned with my experience that if a girl retaliates and do not get scared and embarrassed about these situation causing her to ignore it, not just it leaves another person shocked but also silent. We, women need to understand that it's not our fault that jerks like this exist in our society and incidents like these should not embarrass us. It's not us, but them. The same thing happened that day. Soon after my words, he stopped there with a blank face.

Another highlight of this whole event was, the girl’s father was waiting for her beyond the entry gates. As soon as we swiped our cards, gratitude-filled with women safety lecture caught our ears. “Thank you beta. But dhyaan se, kya zarurat thi itna bolne ki. beta aage se aesa kuch ho toh nikal jaya karo, inka kya hai, akeli ladki ko dekhke aur pareshaan karenge.” Well, this was not new to my ears. Instead of scolding that man, her father asked her daughter and also me to be cautious. Cautious of what? Other's actions? Clearly, my parents and brother never taught me to be this docile and helpless. But we cannot deny the fact that we live in society where women are expected to behave in a certain way in good and bad situations, we are expected to feel ashamed of these situations and if something like this happens to any one of us, we need to behave in a certain way to avoid further repercussions and "embarrassment". Things have surely changed, every man is not the same, but society still does not appreciate a rebellious woman.

The story does not end here, nor was this the first experience of my life that made me write this. What happens after 3 weeks was worth sharing.

Sitting in the ladies coach’s seat near to the general coach, again coming back from Noida. I was busy listening to music when I heard someone saying, “sorry madam uss din ke liye”. I could not recognize the person and the situation, when interrogated, he was the same guy. The whole situation baffled me as something like this was unexpected. But what he said next filled my heart with great respect and happiness,“Maine suna tha jo unn uncle ne aapko kaha that. Meri bhi beti hai 3 saal ki. Maine socha ki jab voh badi hui, uske saath aesa hoga toh kya mai chahunga ki voh uss ladki ki tarah aankheen neeche karke khadi rahe ya aapki tarah jawab de. Madam bhot bura laga sochke.”

His these words were enough to convey the message.




Comments

Popular Posts